In response to the insult to the Holy Quran by Norbert Hofer, the leader of Austria’s extremist Freedom Party, the Ahlulbayt (a.s.) World Assembly issued an important statement.
Condemning Austrian politician bizarre statement, Ahlulbayt (a.s.) World Assembly attributed it to “ignorance” or “fanatical stubbornness” and warned about devastating religious clashes.
Pointing out that “Today, the acquaintance of the followers of different religions with the Holy Quran has led these people to refer to this Holy Book; and in some cases, this has angered the enemies”, the Assembly urged the politician who insults Qur’an and his like-minded to read the Holy Book and the Prophet Muhammad’s Tradition completely without prejudice.
The full text of the statement is as follows:
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
“And We send down of the Qur’an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss.” (17:82)
Unfortunately, we have once again witnessed the insult to the Holy Qur’an in Europe where an Austrian politician has described the Holy Quran as “more dangerous than the coronavirus”! He insulted the Holy book which inspires love, rationality, altruism, resistance to the oppressors, support for the weak, and peaceful coexistence of religions.
These upsetting statements, which are the result of ignoranceor fanatical stubbornnesshave hurt the feelings of the world’s religious people, including Muslims, Christians, etc., and have once again sounded the alarm about devastatingreligious conflicts.
Condemning these strange remarks,Ahlulbayt World Assembly (a.s.), as an international organization that has hundreds of Muslim thinkers around the worldas members, draws the attention of the Austrian people and the international community to the following points:
- As we have witnessed in recent years, the main reason for insulting the Holy Qur’an and the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in some European countries and the United States has been lack of familiarity with true Islam and the content of the Holy Quran.The text of the Holy Quran, as the main source of Islamic thought, should be studied in a complete and non-selective manner by all those who criticize it as a result of propaganda.If Islam and the Qur’an are understood by considering the behavior of takfiri groups or some rulers of Muslim countries, of course,there will be no result other than these misunderstandings.But politicians and social activists are not expected to choose this wrong path to know Islam.
- The righteous people of the world have long urged thinkers, politicians, intellectuals, writers, clerics, and especially Western youth, to study Islam from “first-hand sources”. Mournfully when Terry Jones, the American priest who burned the Qur’an, was asked if he had ever read the Qur’an, he replied,“No”!
- According to what has been mentioned, we strongly urge the Austrian politician who has insulted Qur’an and his like-minded colleagues to recite the Holy book from the beginning to the end without prejudice and to have a study on Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) and his family’stradition.Ahlulbayt World Assembly is ready to provide them with the translation of the Qur’an as well as first-hand sources without distortion in this regard. The Ahlulbaytlocal assembly in Austria is also ready for any talks.
- We are grateful to the politicians and other Austrian parties who did not remain silent in the face of this insult and condemned it and showed a positive attitude.In addition to creating a sense of empathy between the followers of religions and denominations, surely, such actions, will prevent futile disputes and conflicts at the national and international levels and will prevent the creation of deeper divisions in human society.
- Today,fortunately, the acquaintance of the followers of different religions with the Holy Qur’an has led them to refer to theHoly Book; and in some cases, this has angered the enemies in such a way that they spread Medieval seditions.
Finally, since the politician has used the outbreak of the coronavirus (Covid-19) as the subject of his remarks, we emphasize that what will save the world from the virus are“scientific progress”, “social rationality”,“observing hygieneto prevent outbreak”, “saving the lives of coronavirus patients” and “helping the economically disadvantagedpeople”. Fourteen centuries ago,all of these issueswererevealed in the Holy Qur’an by Allah the Almighty to His Prophet. Examples includeVerse 11 of Surah al-Mujadelah (58:11), verse 22 of Surah Anfal (8:22), verse 168 of Surah Al-Baqarah (2:168), verse 32 of Surah Ma’idah (5:32) and verse 7 of Surah Talaq (65:7).